Personal Support Workers play an important role in the Canadian healthcare system. At BCA’s PSW program, you will learn how to improve the quality of life of your patients, including assisting with their physical, emotional, and mental well-being. This holistic approach to well-being will allow you to differentiate yourself in the highly competitive healthcare field.
You will also learn how to assist clients various needs such as: helping with personal hygiene, assisting their mobility challenges, ensuring proper nutrition, creating a care plan, helping with medications and cognitive issues, as well as identifying and reporting signs of elder abuse. In addition, you will receive your Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR Certificate before being placed in industry-relevant placement opportunities.
Hands-on Healthcare Training
The Personal Support Worker program gives you industry-focused, relevant training to help you excel in various care environments.
The final stages of the PSW program are two practicum placements, totaling 310 hours over eight weeks, with one at a community organization, and the second at a care facility. These work placements ensure that you will be job-ready and prepared to move into your new career as a personal support worker.
PSW students will develop the following skills:
- Personal Care, hygiene and grooming assistance
- Home Management
- Operating mechanical equipment
- Information handling
- PSW Foundation
- Safety and Mobility
- Body Systems
- Assisting with Personal Hygiene
- Abuse And Neglect
- Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
- Care Planning, Restorative Care, Documentation
- Assisting the family, growth and development
- Assisting the Dying person
- Assisting with Medication
- Cognitive and Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
- Health conditions
- Clinical Placement (Community)
- Clinical Placement (Facility)
PSW may perform most of the following duties:
- Answer call signals; supply and empty bed pans; bathe, dress and groom patients; serve meal trays, feed or assist in feeding of patients and assist patients with menu selection; weigh, lift, turn, and position patients; shave patients prior to operations; supervise patients’ exercise routines, set up and provide leisure activities for patients, accompany patients on outside recreational activities and perform other duties related to patient care and comfort
- Take patients’ blood pressure, temperature and pulse; report or record fluid intake and output; observe or monitor patients’ status and document patient care on charts; administer first aid in emergency situations; collect specimens such as urine, faeces or sputum; administer suppositories, colonic irrigations and enemas and perform other procedures as directed by nursing and hospital staff
- Transport patients by wheelchair or stretcher for treatment or surgery
- Carry messages, reports, requisitions and specimens between departments
- Make beds and maintain patients’ rooms
- Maintain inventory of supplies
- May perform maintenance tasks such as assisting with the set-up and maintenance of traction equipment, cleaning or sterilizing equipment, maintaining and repairing equipment, and assembling, setting-up and operating job-related equipment
May transport patients between care facilities.
PSW Career may work with the following positions:
- Personal Support Worker
- Health care aide
- Hospital attendant
- Long term care aide
- Nurse aide
- Nursing attendant
- Patient care aide
- Patient service associate
- Personal care attendant – medical
- Psychiatric aide
- Resident care aide – medical
Duration: 20 weeks (approx.)
Hours: 700 hours
Internship: Community and facility placements
Contact us today. One of our Admission Specialist will walk you through the process on how to get you started and apply. We will be with you to get you through your future and successful career.